Energy conservation starts with an audit — high on the homeowner investment priority list.
- an audit gives immediate “under the hood” look at home efficiency
- great for prospective buyers and long time home owners
- corrections can immediately improve home comfort and reduce operating costs
- audits are generally subsidized by the local utility
- there are usually incentives for improvements like insulation and duct sealing
This recent home energy audit article in Mother Earth News sums up the need and rewards of home energy audits. If you live in the Seattle area, you may also qualify for assistance in window replacement, insulation and sealing drafts in your house under the newly expanded Community Power Works program.